"Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical" (1882-1885), Francis H. Groome
Bathgate, a town and a parish in the south-west of Linlithgowshire (NT 01519 75568). The town stands in the middle of the parish, 6 miles south by west of Linlithgow, whilst by sections of the North British, that converge to it from the east, south, west, and north-west, it is:
- 14¼ miles north-east of Morningside
- 16 miles east by north of Coatbridge
- 24¾ miles east by north of Glasgow, and
- 8½ miles south of Manuel Junction (NS 96599 77341).
Its situation is a pleasant one. The hilly grounds to the north-east, and the beautiful park of Balbardie (NS 97390 69460) on the north, give a cheerful aspect to the town, which consists of two parts, the old and the new. The old stands on a ridgy declivity, and has narrow crooked lanes; the new town, on low ground, is regularly aligned, and has well-built streets. A considerable extension occurred after the opening of the Bathgate and Edinburgh railway in 1849; a greater one, after the establishment of a neighbouring paraffin work in 1852; and other ones, or rather a continually increasing one, after the subsequent commencing or enlargement of other neighbouring works connected with mines and with mineral produce. The inhabitants prior to the first of these extensions, had little other employment than hand-loom weaving, and lived in a state of penury; but the new works employed not only them but numerous immigrants from other towns.
Bathgate soon grew to threefold its former extent, and passed from a state of stagnancy and decay to one of bustle and prosperity; and though suffering at present under the general depression of trade, it now has many fine dwelling-houses and handsome shops. It possesses:
- a head post office (NS 97595 69040), with money order, savings' bank, insurance, and telegraph departments (76 North Bridge Street, Bathgate EH48 4PN; NS 97422 68938);
- two railway stations, upper (NS 97472 68442) and lower (NS 96863 69171);
- offices of the Royal, National, and Union banks;
- a local savings bank;
- two chief hotels (NS 97463 68747), the Bathgate (NS 97569 68657) and the Commercial (NS 97459 68746);
- a handsome and commodious corn-exchange (NS 97574 69056) and Corn Exchange, Jarvey Street, Bathgate;
- a police station (1870) (NS 97574 68883);
- a working men's institute (1875) (NS 97936 68692);
- and a Saturday paper, the West Lothian Courant (1872).
Places of worship are:
- the parish church (rebuilt 1882; cost £5,000) (NS 97546 69109) and (NS 97576 69105)
- a Free church (NS 97438 68856) and (NS 97395 68874)
- a U.P. church (NS 97595 68745) and (NS 97337 68989)
- an Evangelical Union chapel (NS 97781 68947) and (NS 97824 68964)
- a Wesleyan chapel (Armadale: NS 97438 68856)
- and a Roman Catholic chapel (1858; 600 sittings) (NS 97471 69040) and (NS 97460 69029)
A weekly market is held on Tuesday, and has become important as a central corn-market for Linlithgowshire and for parts of the adjoining counties. Cattle fairs (Bathgate Muir Cattle Market: NS 96954 69057) and (NS 96955 69071) are held on the fourth Wednesday of June and October; and cattle and hiring fairs on the Wednesdays after Whitsunday and Martinmas, old style.
The public works, to which the town owes its growth, and also the schools, will be noticed under the parish.
The town, with a territory around it, was anciently a sheriffdom; and in legal form it still is such, only that the sheriff of Linlithgowshire is always also sheriff of Bathgate. The right to its sheriffdom was long hereditary, and belonged to the Earls of Hopetoun, whose representative, on the abolition of hereditary jurisdictions in 1747, was compensated by a payment of £2,000. In 1824 the town was constituted a burgh of barony by Act of Parliament, under which it is governed by a provost, 3 bailies, 12 councillors, and a treasurer; in 1865 it adopted the general police and improvement act of Scotland, and since has a body of police commissioners.
Walter, the son-in-law of King Robert Bruce, receiving Bathgate as part of his wife's dowry, had a residence at it, and died here in 1328. Some of the inhabitants suffered hardship and loss in the times of the persecution; and the insurgent army of the Covenanters, when on their march from the west to Rullion Green, spent a disastrous night at Bathgate.
Jn. Reid, M. D. (1809-49), anatomist and physiologist, and Sir James Simpson (1811-70), professor of midwifery in Edinburgh University, were natives. Population of burgh:
- (1831) 2,581
- (1861) 4,827
- (1871) 4,991
- (1881) 4,885
The parish of Bathgate contains also the small town of Armadale, 2½ miles west by south (NS 93990 68485) and (NS 93941 68569). It is bounded:
- north by Torphichen and Linlithgow
- north-east by a detached portion of Ecclesmachan (NT 02939 71388)
- east by Livingston (NT 04031 66909)
- south by Livingston (NT 04031 66909) and Whitburn (NS 94620 64904)
- south-west by Shotts in Lanarkshire
- and north-west by Torphichen.
Its greatest length from east to west is 6½ miles; its breadth from north to south varies between 2½ and 3½ miles; and its area is 10,887½ acres, of which 11¾ are water. The surface, nowhere much less than 400 or more than 1000 feet above sea-level, attains:
- 626 feet near Cowdenhead in the west (NS 92036 67602)
- 409 at Balmuir in the north-west (NS 94751 71065)
- 1000 at the Knock in the north (NS 99118 71107)
- 563 near Colinshiel (NS 94912 69304)
- 535 near Bathville (NS 94627 67785)
- 537 near Whiteside (NS 95752 67647)
- 583 near Torbanehill in the south (NS 95273 65963)
- 486 near Upper Bathgate station (NS 97468 68437)
- 848 at the Standing Stones (NS 98819 69836)
- and 700 near Drumcross (NS 00387 70043) in the east.
The western and part of the southern slope of the hilly mass are considerable declivities, yet contain the best land in the parish. The tract at the base is the lowest ground, was naturally marshy, and appears to have long lain mainly under water; but now, in result of draining, is comparatively dry.
Ballencrieff Water rises among the hills, makes a circuit through great part of the low tracts, and then runs for about 1½ mile along the boundary with Torphichen. Barbauchlaw Burn (NS 94316 70161) comes in from the south-west, traces much of the rest of the boundary with Torphichen, and makes a confluence with Ballencrieff Water. The river Almond (NS 95851 65580), from a point about 5 miles below its source, runs about 1½ mile on the boundary with Whitburn (NS 94302 65234). A lake of about 11 acres lay in the northern vicinity of the town, but was drained in 1853. About 510 acres are under wood; 800 are pastoral or waste; and all the rest save what is occupied by buildings, public works, fences, roads. and railways, is either constantly or occasionally in tillage. The rocks include dykes and masses of trap, but belong mainly to the coal measures, and are very rich in useful minerals.
At Boghead (NS 95184 67952), 1½ mile south-west of the town, a black bituminous shale, sharing the appearance both of coal and slate, was found in 1850 to be peculiarly rich in mineral oil, and began to be worked about 1852 for the production of illuminating gas, paraffin oil, and solid paraffin. Coming into much demand also for exportation to the Continent and elsewhere, it was mined at the rate of fully 100,000 tons a year; but about 1866 began to show signs of exhaustion, signs that fulfilled themselves in 1873.
Chemical works (NS 96524 67258), for manufacturing paraffin oil and solid paraffin, stand about ¾ mile south south-west of Boghead; cover 25 acres; are connected by branch railways with the main lines in their vicinity; look, in the distance, like a grimy irregularly-built village; and employ from 400 to 500 men. These works underwent some change, at the expiry of a lease, in 1864; and they were sold, about the beginning of 1866, at a price variously reported from £200,000 to £240,000. Other works of similar kind, under stimulus of the prosperous experiment at Boghead, and after successful search for shales of kindred character to the Boghead shale, were meanwhile established at Uphall, Broxburn, Kirkliston, Westwood, Hermand, Saltney, Calderhall, Charlesfield, Leavenseat, Addiewell, and other places in Linlithgowshire and the west border of Edinburghshire; and these, by powerfully extending the demand for paraffin oil and paraffin throughout Great Britain, and in countries so distant as China, gave increasing impulse and energy to the parent works and researches in the neighbourhood of Boghead.
One of the new works was established within Bathgate parish itself, shortly before 1865; and that, together with brick-making and mining in connection with it, employs between 300 and 400 persons. Another of the new works also was erected, near the end of 1865, about 3 miles east of Bathgate town (Deans Oil Works: NT 01889 68284).
Collieries have long and extensively been worked in the parish, whose western half contained nine active pits in 1879. A very rich iron ore was, at one time, worked on the estate of Couston (NS 95732 70414). Limestone for conversion into quick-lime, sandstone for building, and trap rock for road-metal, are largely quarried. Lead ore, in small frequently-interrupted veins, with traces of silver, occurs in the limestone beds. The argentiferous ore was long worked in one of the limestone quarries (NS 99336 71444), still called the Silver Mine (NS 99078 71652); but, after yielding a considerable quantity of silver, it ceased to be obtained in sufficient quantity for remunerative working. The Silver Mine was explored in 1871; was then found to comprise several deep pits with numerous ramifications; and to contain inscriptions and a curious ancient hammer, showing it to have been extensively worked in the Middle Ages; and, giving promise of lead, silver, and platinum ores, it was once more for a time subjected to vigorous operation. Thin beds of mineral pitch also are found in the limestone; and traces of brown blende zinc ore have been observed; Calc-spar is plentiful; and heavy-spar, pearl-spar, Lydian stone, and chalcedony are occasionally found. Fire clay is abundant.
- Couston Castle (NS 95552 71133) and the Refuge Stone (NS 95616 70769) in the north-west;
- the Boar Stone (NS 92326 68195) in the south-west;
- the Standing Stones (NS 98820 69836) in the north-east;
- the old church (NS 99054 68132) a little south-east of the town;
- and Ballencrieff House (NS 97202 69897), to the north of the same.
The principal mansions are:
- Balbardie (NS 97390 69460)
- Boghead (House) (NS 95722 68030)
- Torbanehill (House: NS 95574 65898)
- Kaim Park (NS 98745 68060)
- Rosemount (NS 97600 68678)
- Easter Inch (NS 98867 67357)
- Drumcross (NT 00367 70074)
- Wester Drumcross (NS 99989 70062)
- Wester Inch (NS 98566 67287)
- and 14 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 43 of between £100 and £500, 59 of from £50 to £100, and 100 of from £20 to £50.
Bathgate is in the presbytery of Linlithgow and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale; its minister's income is £314. Besides Armadale public school, the Academy (NS 97963 68717) and a Roman Catholic school at Bathgate town, and Bathgate landward public school, with respective accommodation for 774, 187 and 131 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 608, 179 and 155, and grants of £599, £90. 8s. 1d., and £94. 11s. Valuation (1881) £34,449. 19s.
- (1801) 2,513
- (1831) 3,593
- (1861) 10,134
- (1871) 10,129
- (1881) 9,450 of whom 6,425 belong to Bathgate registration district. Ord. Sur., sh. 31,1867.
Under John Watson and his sons William, Thomas and David, brick works were early established at Bathville (NS 94592 67877), and after Mr. Wood had devoted himself to the development of the coalfield (NS 93089 66988) with great success, he turned his attention to the brick works to such an extent that again the ground was studded with tall chimney stalks, and the output of bricks for building purposes was something enormous. These works are fitted with the most up-to-date machinery for making brick and the most approved kilns for burning them. On the site of the original brick works, Messrs Robertson and Love, in 1882, instituted a fireclay pipe work, in conjunction with brick manufacturing, and have greatly extended their operations by many additions … bricks brought from Broompark Works (NS 95995 71784), near Torphichen … see Scotland's Brick Manufacturing Industry
"A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland" (1846) Samuel Lewis, pages 101-123 at paragraph 46
BATHGATE, a burgh of barony, and a parish, in the county of Linlithgow, 7 miles (south by west) from Linlithgow, and 18 (west by south) from Edinburgh; containing, with the village of Armadale, 3,928 inhabitants, of whom 2,809 are in the town. This place, of which the name, in a charter of Malcolm IV written Batket, is of unknown derivation, formed part of the extensive possessions given by King Robert Bruce, in 1316, with his daughter, the Princess Marjory, on her marriage to Walter, high steward of Scotland, ancestor of the royal family of Stuart, who had one of his principal residences at this place, where he died in 1328.
Of this ancient castle, some slight traces of the foundations only are discernible, in a morass about a quarter of a mile from the town, in which, though it has been drained and brought into cultivation, kitchen utensils of brass, and coffins rudely formed of flat stones, have been discovered by the plough.
The barony, with the sheriffdom, which had been annexed to it, was granted by Charles II, in 1663, to Thomas Hamilton, and subsequently became the property of the Hope family, of whom John, the second Earl of Hopetoun, on the abolition of hereditary jurisdictions, in 1747, claimed £2,000, as an indemnity. There are few events of importance connected with the history of Bathgate, with the exception of some occasional encounters which took place, during the time of the Covenanters, between the inhabitants and the soldiery who were sent to disperse their meetings.
The town is chiefly situated on the acclivity of a hill, on the north side of the middle road from Glasgow to Edinburgh, and consists of several well-formed streets of neatly-built houses, from which others, of inferior character, branch off in various directions. The principal streets are paved, and well lighted with gas from works erected by a company recently formed; and the inhabitants are amply supplied with water.
A subscription library has been recently established, which has a collection of about 300 volumes, and is well supported; the post-office has two deliveries from Glasgow, and one from Edinburgh, daily, and branches of the National Bank of Scotland, and the Glasgow Union Bank, have been opened in the town.
The cotton manufacture is carried on to a considerable extent, affording employment to about 500 of the inhabitants, in hand-loom weaving, chiefly for the Glasgow houses; and about 160 women and girls are engaged in tambour-work. A distillery and a brewery, both on an extensive scale, are in active operation; and there are two brick and tile works, in which several hands are employed.
The market, which is abundantly supplied with grain, and numerously attended, is on Wednesday; and fairs for cattle and horses are held on the third Wednesday in April, the first Wednesday after Whitsuntide (O. S.), the fourth Wednesday in June, the third Wednesday in August, the fourth Wednesday in October, and the first Wednesday after Martinmas (O. S.). Of these, the principal are the Whitsuntide and Martinmas fairs, which are attended by dealers from all parts of the country.
Facility of communication is afforded by the Edinburgh and Glasgow, and the Lanark and Borrowstounness, turnpike-roads, which pass through the parish, and by other roads kept in good repair by statute labour; and a branch from the Slamannan railway will be extended to this place, and contribute greatly to promote its intercourse with the neighbouring districts.
The inhabitants, with the concurrence of the superior of the town, obtained an act of parliament, in 1824, conferring a charter of incorporation, and vesting the government of the burgh in a provost, three bailies, a treasurer, and twelve councillors, annually elected by the burgesses, who must be holders of houses or tenements valued at £3 per annum, and are entitled to become burgesses on the payment of fees not exceeding £2. 2s. The jurisdiction of the magistrates, which is confined to the limits of the burgh, extends to civil pleas not exceeding £25, and to the trial of petty offences, for which they hold courts as occasion may require; but the number of causes is very inconsiderable, and courts for the recovery of small debts are held every two months, by the magistrates. A sheriff's court is held four times in the year, under the sheriff of the county, who is also appointed sheriff of Bathgate. There is a small prison, containing three cells for criminals, and a room for debtors, under the management of the corporation; but it is rarely used, except for the temporary confinement of deserters on their route to Glasgow or Edinburgh. The seal of the burgh simply bears the inscription, "Sigillum Commune Burgi de Bathgate" in an outer circle, and, within, the words, "erected by act of parliament 5th Geo. IV. 1824" with a crown.
The parish is about seven miles and a half in length, and about four miles in extreme breadth, comprising an area of 11,214 acres, of which 8,700 are arable, 800 pasture, 500 woodland and plantations, and the remainder, excepting the site of the town and the village of Armadale, roads and waste.
The surface, though generally level, is diversified by the hills of the Knock and the Reiving Craig, which nearly equal the Cairnapple in height, attaining an elevation of about 1450 feet above the sea. The only river in the parish is the Almond, which separates it, for about a mile, from the parish of Whitburn; there are numerous springs, and, in the grounds of Balbardie, a lake partly artificial, about eleven acres in extent, and averaging five feet in depth.
The soil, on the slopes of the hills, is rich, and in the lower grounds wet and marshy, though it has been greatly benefited by draining; and the lands which are not under tillage, afford good pasturage for cattle. The system of agriculture is in an improved state, and a considerable portion of waste has been reclaimed; the crops are, grain of every sort, with potatoes and turnips, and much attention is paid to the management of the dairy-farms. Few sheep are pastured, and the cattle are of various mixed breeds, but, on the dairyfarms, mostly of the pure Ayrshire kind. The farm buildings are inferior to others in the district; but improvements are gradually taking place, under the auspices of an agricultural society in the town, which awards premiums at its annual meetings, when there is a show of cattle. A horticultural society has also been established.
The rateable annual value of the parish is £12,975.
The plantations consist of oak, ash, elm, and plane, with larch, and silver, spruce, and Scotch firs.
The substratum is principally coal, forming part of the central coal-field of Scotland, but the seams are frequently intersected with dykes of whinstone. Limestone is also found, both of the marine and lacustrine formation; in the former, are various species of corrallines, ammonites, and marine shells, and in both are veins of lead containing portions of silver-ore. In one of the mines, called the silver mine, the ore was wrought for some time, yielding a considerable quantity of silver, which gradually diminished till the working was ultimately discontinued. In connexion with the strata of coal, is found iron-ore, which was formerly wrought by the Carron Iron Company, and for the working of which, in another part of the parish, a company recently formed have commenced operations; and there are occasionally found, in the limestone, thin layers of mineral pitch. Several coal-mines are in operation, and some have been recently discontinued; there are also lime-works, all of which produce lime of good quality. Freestone and whinstone are likewise abundant; of the former, one quarry is constantly wrought, on the lands of Balbardie, producing stone of excellent quality for building, and the latter is wrought occasionally for the roads.
Balbardie House, in the parish, is a handsome mansion, erected towards the close of the last century, after a design by Mr. Adam, and beautifully situated in a well-wooded park of more than 100 acres, containing much diversified scenery; and Boghead, another residence, is surrounded with thriving plantations, formed by the present proprietor.
The ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Linlithgow and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale; the minister's stipend is £132. 8s 4d, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £19 per annum; patron, the Earl of Hopetoun. The church, erected in 1739, is a plain building, situated in the town, and nearly in the centre of the parish; it is in good repair, and contains 719 sittings, a number very inadequate to the population. There are places of worship for Free Church, Relief, United Secession, and Original Burgher congregations.
The parochial school is well attended; the master has a salary of £34. 4s 4½d, with a house and garden, and the fees average £26 per annum. The Bathgate Academy was founded by Mr. John Newlands, a native of this parish, who died in Jamaica, in 1799, and bequeathed the principal part of his property to trustees, for the erection and endowmen of a free school here. The trustees, after resisting an attempt to invalidate the bequest, in which they were indemnified by the personal security of Mr. Majoribanks, received £14,500, and immediately opened schools in different parts of the parish, which, on the subsequent increase of the funds, were concentrated in the present institution, in 1833. The academy is under the superintendence of a rector, who is also the classical master, two English masters, and a master for writing, arithmetic, and the mathematics; and is attended by about 500 children, who are all gratuitously taught. The building is a handsome structure, consisting of a centre and two wings connected by a colonnade, and comprises a house for the rector, with four ample class-rooms, a library, in which are more than 700 volumes, and other apartments, with a spacious play-ground in front.
The poor are partly supported by the interest of £1,100 bequeathed by Mr. Henry Calder, yielding £53 per annum.
There are some Druidical remains in the vicinity; and in different parts of the parish, have been found coins of Edward I, Queen Elizabeth, and Charles II.
Several of the springs are strongly chalybeate; and on the estate of Couston, the water resembles in its quality that of the celebrated spring of Dollar.
- James, son of William Arthur and Mary Johnstone, baptised August 20, 1732.
- Isobel, daughter of John Arthur and Agnes Meikle, born November 19, 1749 and baptised November 22.
- Dorothea, daughter of John Arthur and Agnes Meikle in Torphichen, baptised May 10, 1752.
- John, son of Alexander Arthur and Isobel Grinton, baptised July 5, 1752.
- Robert, son of Alexander Arthur and Isabel Grinton, born August 22, 1754 and baptised September 8.
- Adam, son of Alexander Arthur and Isabel Grinton, born July 8, 1757 and baptised July 24.
- William Arthur and his spouse Janet Hutton had a child born February 10, 1770, baptised March 11, and named Ely Arthur.
- James Arthur and his spouse Elizabeth White had a child born July 4, 1770, baptised July 15 and named Isabel.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isabel Hunter (?) had a child born November 21, 1771, baptised November 24 and named Marrion Arthur.
- William Arthur and his spouse Janet Hutton had a child born December 26, 1771, baptised the same day and named William Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isabel Hushel (?) had a child born August 5, 1774, baptised August 7 and named James Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isabel Hunter (?) had a child born December 11, 1776, baptised December 15 and named Jean Arthur.
- James Arthur and his spouse Elizabeth White had a child born April 2, 1778, baptised April 14 and named Mary Arthur.
- Robert Arthur, mason, died November 26, 1782.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Jean Watt had a child born on June 13, 1790, baptised June 20, and named Margaret Arthur.
- Jean Watt, spouse of Adam Arthur, died October 23, 1791 age 27.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born December 10, 1791, baptised December 16 and named William Arthur.
- Mary (Margaret ?) Arthur, daughter of Alexander Arthur, wright of Bathgate, died on September 1, 1792 of smallpox age 18 months.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isabel Hamilton had a child born on December 10, 1792, baptised December 16 and named William Arthur.
- John Arthur and his spouse Margaret (Reid ?) had a child born on May 13, 1794, baptised May 25 and named Jean Arthur.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Mary Briggs had a child born May 15, 1794, baptised May 25 and named Mary Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born October 10, 1794, baptised October 12 and named Isobel Arthur.
- Isobel Cushel, spouse of Alexander Arthur, died of inflammation of the bowels December 3, 1794 age 60 years.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Mary Briggs had a child born on August 17, 1795, baptised August 23 and named Alexander Arthur.
- Jean Arthur, daughter of Adam Arthur, grocer of Bathgate, died November 9, 1795 of measles.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Mary Briggs had a child born May 6, 1797, baptised May 14 and named Adam Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born October 8, 1797, baptised October 22 and named John Arthur.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Mary Briggs had a child born December 3, 1798, baptised December 9 and named William Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born September 10, 1799, baptised September 15 and named Margaret Arthur.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Mary Briggs had a child born July 12, 1800, baptised July 20 and named Isobel Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born September 19, 1801, baptised October 4 and named James Arthur.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born February 14, 1802, baptised February 20 and named Robert Arthur.
- James Arthur, son of Alexander Arthur, wright, died January 6, 1803 of fever age 18 months.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born November 8, 1803, baptised November 26 and named Mary Arthur.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born June 18, 1804, baptised June 24 and named Andrew Arthur.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Mary Briggs had a child born July 2, 1804, baptised July 15 and named John Arthur.
- Robert Arthur and his spouse Elisabeth Bennet had a child born April 1, 1805, baptised April 21 and named Mary Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born October 22, 1805, baptised November 3 and named Agnes Arthur.
- John Arthur, son of Adam Arthur, vintner, died October 28, 1805 of chincough age 16 months.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born May 16, 1806, baptised June 1 and named Christian Arthur.
- Robert Arthur, son of Robert Arthur and Elisabeth Bennet of Armadale (NS 93990 68485) and (NS 93941 68569), died May 19, 1807 of decay age 14 years.
- Adam Arthur, innkeeper of Bathgate, died July 12, 1807 of inflammation of the bowels by drinking water when hot, age 50 years.
- Robert Arthur and his spouse Elisabeth Bennet had a child born October 16, 1807, baptised November 2 and named William Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Isobel Hamilton had a child born June 24, 1808, baptised July 3 and named James Arthur.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born January 12, 1809, baptised January 29 and named Elisabeth Arthur.
- James Arthur, son of Alexander Arthur, died July 9, 1809 of bowel hyve age 13 months.
- Robert Arthur and his spouse Elisabeth Bennet had a child born November 26, 1810, baptised December 23 and named Robert Arthur.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born April 24, 1811, baptised may 12 and named Catherine Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Brown had a child born August 18, 1811, baptised September 1 and named Margaret Arthur.
- Isobel Arthur, died June 13, 1812 of inflammation of the head, age 62 years.
- Barbara Arthur died March 8, 1813 age 15 years.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born May 23, 1813, baptised May 30 and named William Arthur.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born January 16, 1816, baptised February 4 and named James Arthur.
- Robert Marshall and Jean Arthur had a child born in fornication February 8, 1816, baptised May 2 and named Peter Bennet Marshall.
- Margaret Arthur, wife of John Syme, aged 62 years died May 1, 1816.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Margaret Rankine had a child born April 10, 1818, baptised April 19 and named Margaret Arthur.
- Andrew Arthur and his spouse Margaret Shanks had a child born November 15, 1818, baptised November 18 and named Isobel Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Russell had a child born on February 29, 1819, baptised on March 12 and named Janet Douglas Arthur.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Margaret Rankine had a child born on January 30, 1820, baptised February 13 and named Margaret Arthur.
- William Arthur and Violet Todd were proclaimed (3 shillings) and married on October 14, 1820.
- Thomas Arthur died December 6, 1820 age 1 month.
- William Arthur and his spouse Violet Tod had a child born on December 16, 1820, baptised January (?) 1821, and named Jean Todd Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Russell had a child born on July 27, 1821, baptised on July 29, and named Mary Briggs Arthur.
- Margaret Arthur died August 14, 1821 age 51 years.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Margaret Rankine had a child born on March 15, 1822, baptised and named Mary Briggs Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur died October 11, 1822.
- Mort cloth: Janet Arthur, 1823, 3s.
- Janet Arthur died January 26, 1823 age 80 years.
- William Arthur and his spouse Violet Todd had a child born on May 9, 1823, baptised and named Adam Arthur.
- Christian Arthur, daughter of John Arthur, died of bowel hyve March 8, 1824 age 1 year.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Margaret Rankine had a child born on March 13, 1824, baptised and named Isabella Arthur.
- Mort cloth: Elizabeth Arthur, January 1825, 7s.
- Elizabeth Arthur died of consumption March 26, 1825 age 63 years.
- Mort cloth: Andrew Arthur, May 1826, 5s.
- Andrew (?) Arthur died of inflammation of the bowels May 9, 1826 age 53 years.
- Mort cloth: Isabella Andrew, August 1826, 7s.
- Adam Arthur and his spouse Margaret Rankine had a child born on July 29, 1826, baptised August 26 and named Marion Arthur.
- Isabella Arthur died of inflammation September 30, 1826 age 26 years.
- Margaret Arthur died December 7, 1826 age 87 years.
- William Arthur died of measles January 18, 1827 age 2 years.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Russell had a child born on January 27, 1829, baptised February 14 and named Margaret Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Brown (?) had a child born on July 28, 1829, baptised and named John Arthur.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Russell had a child born on July 3, 1831, baptised July 24 and named Adam Arthur.
- Nisbet Easton and his spouse Margaret Arthur had a child born November 17, 1831, baptised January 1, 1832 and named Andrew Easton.
- James Arthur died by accident June 21, 1832 age 29 years.
- Robert Walker, weaver, and his spouse Agnes Arthur had a child born July 8, 1832, baptised and named Isabella Walker.
- John Rankine of Inchcross and Mary Arthur had a child born in fornication April 3, 1833, baptised and named John Rankine.
- Christian Arthur died in child birth April 3, 1834 age 28 years.
- Alexander Arthur and Janet Stein, both of this parish, proclaimed November 8, 1834, not married.
- Alexander Arthur and Susan Strathearn, both of this parish, proclaimed January 24, 1835.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Russell had a child born April 17, 1835, baptised May 10 and named Isabella Arthur.
- Janet McArthur (?) died of inflammation of the brain July 27, 1835 age 1 year.
- Alexander Arthur and Susan Strathearn, both of this parish, proclaimed February 15, 1836.
- Robert Arthur died of old age June 23, 1836 age 87 years.
- Alexander Arthur and his spouse Margaret Russell had a child born April 15, 1838, baptised May 14 and named Violet Arthur.
- Andrew Arthur died of water on the brain April 27, 1838 age 6 years.
- Janet Arthur died of old age April 1, 1839 age 75 years.
- Robert Arthur and Jean McNie, both of this parish, proclaimed October 17, 1840 and married November 3 by Samuel Martin.
- Jean Arthur died of fever June 25, 1841 age 46 years.
- James Mulholland of the parish of Ruglen and Mary Arthur of this parish proclaimed June 26, 1842.
- Thomas Arthur of the parish of Auchtermuchty and Mary Arthur of this parish proclaimed June 26, 1842.
- John Arthur and Jane Anderson, both of this parish, proclaimed October 15, 1843.
- Marion Arthur died by accident November 30, 1843 age 72 years.
- William Arthur died of consumption May 26, 1844 age 51 years.
- John Wilson and Mary Briggs Arthur, both of this parish, proclaimed and married September 29, 1844 by the Reverand Mr. Wood *
- Monumental inscription taken from gravestone #81 in Kirkton churchyard (NS 99039 68176) and (NS 99045 68132), Bathgate: " (urn on top) John Wilson at Wheattockbrae 13 May 1865 (age 47), wife Mary Briggs Arthur at Armadale 21 December 1891 (age 70), by children"
- William Arthur died of inflammation January 7, 1845 age 19 years.
- Jane Arthur died of burning August 12, 1845 age 1 year.
- Alexander Arthur died of old age October 25, 1845 age 79 years.
- John David and Janet Arthur, both of this parish, proclaimed January 4, 1846.
- John Wilson, miner of Armadale (NS 93990 68485) and (NS 93941 68569), and his spouse Mary Arthur had a child born October 14, 1846, baptised and named Alexander Arthur Wilson.
- James Arthur died of inflammation May 2, 1847 age 1 month.
- Margaret Arthur, wife of Robert Masterton, weaver of Muir (NS 96925 69078), Bathgate, died February 7, 1848 age 55 years.
- Alexander Arthur and Helen Fleming, both of this parish, proclaimed October 22, 1848.
- William Arthur and Margaret Gardiner, both of this parish, proclaimed December 2, 1849.
- John Arthur and Elizabeth Pender, both of this parish, proclaimed April 7, 1850 and married April 24 by the Reverand Samuel Martin.
- Peter Walker of this parish and Isabella Arthur of the parish of Torpichen proclaimed June 24, 1850.
- Robert Arthur, mason, and Jane Wightman his spouse had a child born November 1, 1850 baptised and named Jane Arthur.
- Robert Arthur, mason, and Jane Wightman, daughter of the late James Wightman, coach driver, both of this parish proclaimed November 3, 1850.
- Robert Arthur, mason, and Jane Wightman his spouse, had a child born on November 1, 1851, baptised and named James Arthur.
- John Arthur and Mary Hughes, both of this parish, proclaimed November 9, 1851.
- Elizabeth Arthur, grand daughter of William Fleming, labourer, of Rikton, died of hydocephalitis February 4, 1852 age 5 years.
- William Walker, carter, and Margaret Arthur, daughter of Robert Arthur, mason, both of this parish, proclaimed June 13, 1852.
- Alexander Arthur, land measurer, died February 11, 1853 age 64 years.
- Margaret Roberts, daughter of Robert Arthur, mason, died of scarletina February 27, 1853 age 2 years.
- Robert Arthur, mason, and Jane Wightman his spouse, had a child born on May 16, 1853, baptised and named Mary Arthur.
- William Dick, teacher of the parish of Dunbar, and Margaret Arthur of this parish proclaimed August 21, 1853.
Churches within 10 miles of Bathgate [NS 97226 68390]
Miles Place County 13.2 Kingseat Peebles-shire 13.2 Cambusnethan Lanarkshire 8.3 Shotts Lanarkshire 4.5 West Calder Midlothian 3.6 Whitburn West Lothian 6.3 Mid-Calder Midlothian 8.8 Kirknewton and East-Calder Midlothian 8.8 East Calder Midlothian 2.6 Armadale West Lothian 5.6 Livingstone West Lothian 0.0 Bathgate Midlothian 9.9 Ratho and Stobhill Midlothian 5.1 Uphall West Lothian 2.0 Torphichen West Lothian 7.8 Slamannan Stirlingshire 5.5 Ecclesmachan West Lothian 9.8 Kirkliston West Lothian 3.8 Muiravonside Stirlingshire 5.5 Terregles Kirkcudbrightshire 5.1 Linlithgow West Lothian 8.9 Newton Midlothian 6.1 Polmont Stirlingshire 8.8 Abercorn West Lothian 10.8 Queensferry West Lothian 7.6 Laurieston Stirlingshire 6.3 Avondale Lanarkshire 8.8 Falkirk Stirlingshire 7.1 Borrowstouness West Lothian 7.8 Grangemouth Stirlingshire 7.8 Carriden Midlothian 10.6 Larbert Stirlingshire 12.8 Inverkeithing Fife 11.0 Limekilns Fife 10.0 Bothkennar Stirlingshire 9.9 Culross Perth
West Lothian Family History Society
The Society was formed in November 2000 to assist those researching family history and genealogy throughout the county of West Lothian. Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month, September to June, 7.00 - 9.00 pm in the Lanthorn Community Education Centre, Kenilworth Rise, Livingston, EH54 6JJ when we have guest speakers who give talks on a wide variety of subjects and Gie's a Haun nights. Its Library and Research Room is also located in the Lanthorn and is open Mondays 10.00am - 3.00pm and Thursdays 11.00am - 4.00pm, where our members can use the resources available. On Wednesdays and Fridays our volunteers are in the Local History Library in Linlithgow (located in the Dalyell Suite, Linlithgow Partnership, Linlithgow, EH49 7EQ) from 10.30am - 3.00pm. There is no need to make an appointment, just visit either location during opening hours where our experienced research volunteers will be on hand to assist members and non-members. West Lothian Family History Society is registered in Scotland as Scottish Charity No. SC031501.