Oxford Ancestors is:
- a venture, backed by Oxford University, to harness the power and precision of modern genetics in the service of genealogy. DNA, the genetic material, flows from one generation to the next with no need for written records;
- building on over a decade of research into human populations and their origins carried out by Professor Bryan Sykes, Professor of Human Genetics,and his team in the world-renowned Institute of Molecular Medicine at Oxford;
- the first organisation in the world to offer these DNA-based services in genealogy.
Oxford Ancestors ("OA") began in 2000 in Professor Sykes' university laboratory following press coverage of his research into mitochondrial DNA and the genetics of human evolution. This showed, among other things, that almost everyone in Europe was maternally descended from one of seven female ancestors. Following the publication of "The Seven Daughters of Eve" in 2001 the demand from members of the public for DNA tests soon outstripped the capacity of the laboratory and the company, now incorporated as an official University of Oxford 'spin-off', moved into purpose-built premises in Littlemore, just south of Oxford.
By then, Oxford Ancestors also offered Y-chromosome tests to follow the equivalent paternal line after Prof Sykes' laboratory had uncovered the surprisingly close association between surnames and Y-chromosomes, a connection which was soon enthusiastically taken up by genealogists.
As demand for OA services grew, the lab moved premises in Kidlington, to the north of Oxford. OA remains close to Prof Sykes' academic research and, as the science has developed, has added new services, such as the "Tribes of Britain" test where customers with roots in Britain or Ireland can learn whether their ancestors were likely to have been Vikings (Danish or Norse), Anglo-Saxons or Celts.
Though OA is well aware you have a choice, it is confident that you will appreciate the unrivalled scientific credentials and experience that Oxford Ancestors has to offer when choosing who to analyse the most precious gift from your ancestors - your DNA.
All the following OA Maternal Ancestry Services are available to both men and women anywhere in the world.
MatriLine Classic DNA (£199)
The OA MatriLine Classic service gives you the opportunity to establish the personal link between you and your ancestral clan mother. As both men and women have mitochondrial DNA this test is suitable for everyone.
What you will receive:
- a readout of the relevant part of your mitochondrial chromosome (400 base pairs of DNA sequence)
- a full explanation of the scientific procedures that we used in the analysis
- full access our searchable databases to discover your genetic relatives
- if the analysis reveals that you are descended from one of the "Seven Daughters of Eve", a premium quality "Seven Daughters of Eve" certificate, signed by Prof. Sykes, identifying from which of the Seven Daughters you are descended
- a premium quality "WorldClans" certificate identifying where your ancestral mother fits into the Maternal Clans of the World
- a full colour MatriMap showing the historical routes taken by the ancestral maternal clans
- a "Golden Thread" certificate showing the timeline connections between all the World Clans
How long does it take?
OA will despatch your Sampling Kit when your order is received. This contains everything you need to take and return your DNA sample to the OA laboratory. The Sampling Kit comes in a high-quality presentation box very suitable as a gift. Inside there is lots of information on the MatriLine test and our other services. There is also a copy of Prof Sykes' classic book "The Seven Daughters of Eve" that triggered the genetic genealogy revolutionin. So you can read about the lives of your ancestors even before the DNA test reveals which one is yours. Once the OA lab has received your sampling brush it will take about six weeks to prepare and sequence your DNA and despatch your results certificates to you.
Combo Upgrade (£169)
It's easy to upgrade your DNA analysis to include the other side of your ancestry with a combined MatriLine and Y-Clan Classic analysis. So, for example, if you have already ordered a Matriline analysis, or received one as a gift, you can upgrade to include a Y-Clan Classic analysis on your DNA sample. And vice-versa of course. Either way you will benefit from the full Combo discount. To qualify you must order your upgrade before you send your DNA sample to the lab. Only men have Y-chromosomes so the sample donor must be male. The Combo Upgrade is for the combination analysis of a single sample.
MatriLine and Y-Clan Classic DNA Combo (£369)
This combination package of MatriLine and Y-Clan Classic analyses gives information from both your maternal and paternal ancestry. You will receive full details of your mitochondrial and Y-chromosome DNA results and the maternal and paternal clans to which you belong. You can also use these results to search our databases to find your DNA relatives. As only males have Y-chromosomes, the sample provider for the combination analysis must be male.
MatriLine Classic: Additional Certificates (£30)
Additional MatriLine certificates can either replace your original certificate or be made out in the name of a relative. You will receive copies of your "Seven Daughters of Eve" and/or "World Clans" premium quality certificates, both signed by Prof. Sykes, made out in your name or that of a relative.
The OA Paternal Ancestry Services can predominantly be used by men because only men have a Y-chromosome. However, women wishing to use these services need only find a direct male relative who is willing to provide a sample. All the OA Paternal Ancestry Services, except the Tribes of Britain, can be used by any man, anywhere in the world, regardless of your country of origin. The Tribes of Britain service is designed specifically for men whose ancient paternal origins lie within the British Isles.
Y-Clan Classic DNA Service (£199)
The OA Y-Clan service analyses your Y-chromosome DNA (yDNA) to establish the link between you and your ancestral clan. Only men have Y-chromosome, so this analysis is only suitable for males. What you will receive:
- a technical report of the 26 marker Y-Clan Classic signature of your Y-chromosome
- a full explanation of the scientific procedures that we used
- a premium quality "Paternal Clans" certificate, signed by Prof Sykes, identifying your ancient paternal clan
- a full colour PatriMap showing the historical routes taken by the ancestral paternal clans
- information about your ancient paternal clan and its distribution in the current human population
- detailed instructions regarding the use of your Y-Clan signature for genealogical research
- free access to our on-line, Y-Clan database with unlimited searches
- the OA lab uses the following 26 Y-chromosome markers: DYSs 19, 385a, 385b, 388, 389a, 389b, 390, 391, 392, 393, 425, 426, 437, 438, 439, 448, 456, 458, 481, 533, 540, 570, 576, 635, 643, GATAH4. Recently added markers are underlined
The OA lab will despatch your Sampling Kit as soon as your order is received. Once the lab has received your DNA sample, it takes a 4 to 6 weeks for your sample to ve analysed and and your results certificates despatched to you.
Y-Clan Classic: Additional Certificates (£30)
Additional Y-Clan Classic certificates can replace your original certificate or be made out in the name of a relative.
Combo Upgrade (£169)
It's easy to upgrade your DNA analysis to include the other side of your ancestry with a combined MatriLine and Y-Clan Classic analysis. So, for example, if you have already ordered a Matriline analysis, or received one as a gift, you can upgrade to include a Y-Clan Classic analysis on your DNA sample. And vice-versa of course. Either way you will benefit from the full Combo discount. To qualify you must order your upgrade before you send your DNA sample to the OA lab. Only men have Y-chromosomes so the sample donor must be male. The Combo Upgrade is for the combination analysis of a single sample.
Tribes of Britain Service (£50)
If your paternal ancestors came from Britain or Ireland, then we can determine from which of the ancient tribes of Britain your paternal ancestor was most likely to have come.
DNA analysis services of interest to groups of men, perhaps sharing the same surname, who would like to explore and share their genetic connections as part of a Surname Project.
Y-Clan Classic Surname Project (£720)
DNA analysis based determination of 26-digit Y-Clan Classic signature for use as an aid to genealogical research. The service includes a comparison table of results and an interpretation of the data, both of which are updated each time a new participant joins the project. The minimum number of participants is four, with additional analyses charged pro rata at £180 each. All particiapants must be male.