The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry & The Royal Berkshire Regiment
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
Raised in 1702 as Fox's Regiment of Marines (32nd Foot in 1751) and in 1741 as Price's Regiment (46th Foot in 1751). These two regiments became the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, in 1881. The regimental march is a combination of "Trelawny" and "One and All".
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (32nd & 46th Foot) Regimental Museum is located in The Keep, Bodmin Barracks Bodmin, Cornwall PL31 1EG Hours: Mon-Fri 8.00-5.00 Curator: Major W H White Tel: (01208) 72810 Directions: About a quarter mile south of town centre on B3269 Lostwithiel road
The Colours in St. Petroc's Church, Bodmin. 27 Old Colours carried by the Regiment since 1816 hang in the Soldier's Aisle.
Click on thumbnail images of St Petroc's Church to view full size images
Movements of the Sixth (Service) Battalion
formed at Bodmin and sent to Aldershot as the 43rd Brigade (14th Division)
14 September 1914
renamed the 14th (Light) Division
26 September 1914
inspected on Queen's Parade by the King
billeted in the Guildford and Godalming district
22 January 1915
inspected on Hankley Common by Earl Kitchener
18 February 1915
sent to Stanhope Lines, Aldershot
11 May 1915
warned to proceed overseas
18 May 1915
21 May 1915
landed at Boulogne
20 February 1918
disbanded in France
Fought in almost every major battle on the Western Front
14th (Light) Division was the junior formation of six divisions formed in August 1914 which formed the First New Army. Kitchener's Volunteers were known at the time as "K1" or the first one hundred thousand. Each division consisted of three brigades each of four infantry battalions. In the 14th (Light) Division all the regiments were of the fast marching rifle or light infantry regiments, hence the sub title "Light". The battalions in the 43rd Brigade were:
6th Battalion The Somerset Light Infantry
6th Battalion The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
6th Battalion The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
10th Battalion The Durham Light Infantry.
Whilst at Aldershot HM the King inspected the division on Queen's Parade on 26 September 1915, and it was inspected by Kitchener on Hankley Common on 11 May 1915. The division crossed to France from Southampton to le Havre and by 25 May 1915 had concentrated around Watten, north west of St Omer.
During WW1 William's home address was 43 Haseley Road, Handsworth, Birmingham 21 (QCFO/163/1) - being the address endorsed on his military identity tag.
DCLI Regimental Books
The History of The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 1914-1919 by Everard Wyrall. With a Foreward by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwall, Colonel-in-Chief. London: Methuen & Co. Ltd., 1932, xix, 514 pp., portraits, plates, maps, plans. 9".
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (The 32nd and 46th Regiments of Foot) by Robert Frederick Kinglake Goldsmith (hardcover, 122 pages, Published by Leo Cooper Ltd., Dimensions: 23 cm., ISBN: 0850520258) Part of the Famous Regiments Series. 34 Illustrations.
History of the 1st D.C.L.I., 1914. Compiled from Official Records and other Sources. By. E. M. Channing-Renton, Lieutenant. Illustrated by Viscount French, John Hassall, R.I., Major T. A. Kendall and others. Alexandria; Studies Publications, 1924. x, 43, v pp., portrait, plates, maps. (The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Great War History Series) 9".
Notes on the History of The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, compiled by Major J. H. T. Cornish-Bowden. Devonport: Hiorns and Miller. (1913-14). 7". No. 1 - The Raising of the Regiment and the Meaning of its name. 64pp. No. 2 - Early War Services. 55 pp.
Images of England, The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, compiled by Hugo White for the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Museum. 2000. ISBN 0752418939. 128 pages, contains over 200 photographs.
A Short History of The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry; its Formation and Services, 1702-1928, Devonport: Swiss & Co., Army Printers and Publishers, 1929. xvi, 63 pp. Coloured plate of colours. 6½".
A Short History of The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry; its Formation and Services, 1702-1938, Plymouth: Underhill (Plymouth) Ltd., printers, 1939. xvi, 63pp., plate, 6 3/8". Another edition of the above book.
The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Regimental Standing Orders, publisher: Underhill (Plymouth) Ltd.
The Red Feather: The Regimental Magazine of the 6th (Service) Battalion of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, printed by Drew, Union Street, Aldershot.
The Royal Berkshire Regiment (Princess Charlotte of Wales's)
Raised in 1744 as Trelawney's Regiment (49th Foot in 1748) and in 1755 as the 2nd Battalion of the 19th Foot (66th Foot in 1758). These two regiments became the 1st and 2nd Battalions of Princess Charlotte's (Berkshire Regiment) in 1881 (Royal in 1885). As a royal regiment it wore blue facings. The regimental march is the "Dashing White Sergeant". Amalgamated in 1959 with the Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh's) to form The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire).
The museum is located at The Wardrobe, 58 The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire [01722 414536]. Hours: April - October daily 10.00 - 4.30; February, March, November Monday - Friday; Closed December & January. Curator: Major (Retd) J H Peters MBE. Memorials and retired Colours are housed at Forbury Gardens in Reading and in St Mary's, St George's and St Laurence's churches in Reading; St Helen's, Abingdon; Windsor Castle and Osborne House, Isle of Wight.
Royal Berkshire Regiment silk postcard, made in France for the Allied troops in World War 1 to send home as a souvenir.